
It took a little prompting from my brother, but beyond the pain of the Canucks loosing, I am enjoying the victory of my late father's Boston Bruins. I know he's smiling down and smiling big on this day of his favorite team's ultimate victory...
My dad grew up playing hockey, first in Worcester, MA, and eventually lettering for MIT in Boston. Much like Vancouver's Sendin twins, he focused on the game and played like a gentleman. He was a defenceman and, like most things he tried, he was good at it.
My earliest memory of enjoying hockey had, of course, nothing to do with the game of hockey and everything to do with my love for dad. My dad's dad, who had moved himself and his wife out from Massachusetts shortly after my birth in California, lived at the French Quarter Apartments in Campbell, California. Along with their common area swimming pool, which was the coolest thing in the world to me at the time, was bested only by the sweet ass "big screen" tv in their common room. At 12, I was impressed by any tv bigger than 25" and this sucker was like 60", projection glory!
It was a rare occasion, but there we were, my dad, grandpa and I, huddled around the "big screen," watching the Bruins play. My dad was hooting and hollering like I had never seen before, and since he was none other than my absolute hero, I was hooting and hollering to match, and then some! The game wore on and hooting died down over time and all that I really remember clearly was that with 30 seconds left in the game, the Bruins were loosing. My dad and grandfather watched in abject defeat... I hated to see my dad unhappy so my 12 year old optimism shouted, "it's ok Dad, they can still win it!" Sure enough, on a lightning fast play, the Bruins tied it up with mere seconds left on the clock! Hooting and hollering ensued in a big, big way! I didn't care less about the Bruins, or hockey in general, but I certainly swelled with pride and joy because my hopes for the Bruins had brought them eventual victory, and that, most importantly, made my dad happy. To this day that smile remains one of the most vivid and joyous memories in my limited list of memories. It cemented my love for hockey to say the least, and brought my father joy to say the most...
Tonight's for you dad and I hope, Hugh hopes and I know that especially Mom hopes that you have an even bigger ass TV up there that you got to watch the game on. And I hope that you were hooting and hollering cuz now that I think about it, I must have heard you. With all of our love Dad, congratulations!!!
-- Todd, Hugh & Mom
2 comments:
great write up TB!
Just read this out loud to Ed who also played against your Dad in high school but cheered right next to him for their Bruins! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Your Dad was also on our minds last night while we watched that beautiful game! Much love to you, Hugh and your Mom, Phoebe and Ed Worcester XO
Post a Comment