Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Lucas Spreads the Joy

In September of 2000 I met Alisa, and, sometime after that, she smiled at me. It was not the first time I had seen her smile of course, but it was the first time she smiled just for me. It was magic. Nine years later I saw that same magic, that same brilliant flare of joy, from our son. I was, and still am, astounded at the power such a small facial gesture can have. I am also amazed at how early in life we all learn to wield that power. Most importantly I am glad that Lucas just loves to smile, plain and simple. Outkast said it perfectly - his smile is "just beaming like four carrots."

Well last week, Lucas, beaming big smiles as usual, spread the joy in kind of a surprising way. We were enjoying some ramen at Oidon, a fantastic little ramen joint near our house in San Mateo, when Lucas caught the eye of our very nice waitress. Her two kids were grown and she loved kids, so when she got a big smile from Lucas she immediately asked to hold him. Next thing I knew she was carrying Lucas over to meet other guests she knew and it was, again, magic! He was smiling, she was smiling and having a great time, and this very sweet elderly couple were smiling too - waving and cooing at him.

Lucas rocks. Lucas making other people smile, making their days a little bit brighter, THAT was magic too. If there's anything I want for Lucas in his life, it's to make the world around him a happier place, and that day it was clear to me that Lucas will do just that.

1 comment:

karen said...

What a cut-E!