Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Daddy's Learning...

I'm learning like crazy. I'm not naturally much of an information junkie so most of the 3 (yes, 3, cover to cover) books on pregnancy and babies I've read is already lost. I do learn lots of cool things as time goes along though and since the books are all organized by week, we can find out "what's new" with Lima every friday. It's pretty fun actually, our "this week in Lima news" hour.

This week, week 15, finds Lima growing tooth buds, sweat glands in his* hands and feet and is covered in soft, downy hair. Cool.

The bigger news is usually about how Alisa feels and that's where I'm learning the most. A couple of gems gleaned from the last 2 weeks:

1. First, Alisa amazes me.
Through the lack of sleep and 5 weeks straight of morning-noon-night sickness, she still gets up and faces a long commute to work. Let's take a look at her just to appreciate and reflect for a moment on my lovely, pregnant wife.2. MUST BE CAREFUL WITH FOOD!
* Not too much - that's number 1 rule and the rule with the most dire consequences if broken
* No rice - it's brutal if it comes back up
* No spice - not only is the stomach smaller, it's much more sensitive
The price of freedom (from stomach problems) is eternal vigilance. Both of us love food and love to eat but I've learned that I need to pay very close attention. With everything Alisa has to occupy her mind, a watchful eye when she eats is helpful

3. Lastly, there's no such thing as too much massage
I think that's obvious but seriously, massages are a great way to help her relax. The best part is that with the lights low and Alisa's tension getting massaged away, we can really talk to each other and share our joy over what's to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the name Lima.

Anonymous said...

wow if only i had a man that paid that much attention!!

Anonymous said...

Yup, my first was "Lima" too..short for Lima Bean as that is what she looked like in her first photo (ultrasound). "Peanut" is good too.

Michele (See Wah's colleague/partner)