Thursday, October 28, 2010

Summertime Fun!

We had a really fun summer this year, so fun that I didn't even get a chance to blog about it for the past few months.  I've got a lot of catching up to do.

In August we went to Boston and it was a very special trip for us.  Along with Todd's mom, we took Todd's Dad's ashes back to where he grew up to lay him to rest.  He had asked us to bring him back to his Sailing Club where he first learned how to sail and had so many great memories there.  It was an emotional trip and at the same time, it brought Bobby back to life and loved reminiscing about what a great man he was.  We visited the town he grew up in, the sailing club where his picture is now up, the house where he grew up, MIT the university he went to, the MIT sailing club where he was sailing champ, and we even got to hang out with 2 of his friends from grade school. 



In September we went on a cruise to the Bahamas on the 2nd largest cruise ship in the world, the Norwegian Epic. We flew into Miami and met up with my parents and my brother's family. It was the first family vacation in a long time with my brother and my parents. I'm not a cruise person and I didn't have much expectations going into it, but we all had a BLAST! Travelling with a kid changes how you travel and the cruise just made things really "easy". You docked at the port and do a day trip at various destinations. There were 20 restaurants to choose from, night time entertainment like the Blue Man Group, kiddy water slides, bars, shopping, rock climbing, bowling - everything is on this boat or should I say floating city. Our favourite stop was Routan, Honduras - it was a beautiful island, very natural, the beach was so hot and the ocean so warm. It was Lucas' first dip in the ocean - and it was in Honduras (lucky kid).  When we got back we had the "cruise blues". We wished we were still on the boat and vacationing in the bahamas.


A couple of weeks after we went to family camp with a bunch of our friends. This is an annual trip we take with the gang and last year Lucas was just a few month old and we stayed at a hotel and hung out at the campsite in the day, but this year we actually stayed in a tent together. Lucas had a blast - he loves the outdoors and dirt. I had to get over the fact that he was constantly dirty, eating dirt, sitting in dirt. Zen with the "dirt". Plus there was poison oak at the campsite, so I was super paranoid that he would touch it. It was a test of patience and just letting go and I survived :-)

No comments: